That Instagram algorithm. We are always trying to figure it out. According to Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram, revealed the most important factors that the Instagram algorithm takes into account:
- Information about the post: Is it a photo or a video? What subject is it about? Does it have a lot of likes?
- Information about the poster: Are they a friend? Do they post often?
- Your activity: Do you often watch videos? What content do you engage with?
- Your interaction history: Do you like or comment frequently on the poster’s posts?
Based on this information, the algorithm calculates how likely someone is to interact with a post, known as a score of interest, which determines the order in which posts are displayed in someone’s feed. This gets us to our next point: the 5 key Instagram interactions.
These key interactions, or “proxies,” as Mosseri refers to them, are taken into account by the algorithm when determining the following feed ranking:
- Time: Are you going to spend time on the post?
- Likes: How likely are you to like the post?
- Comment: How likely are you to comment on the post?
- Save: How likely are you to save or bookmark the post?
- Tap on Profile: How likely are you to tap on the profile after seeing the post?
If the algorithm calculates that someone is unlikely to carry out any of these interactions on a post, it will not be prioritized in their feed.
And there you have it, the top 5 interactions you should know to improve your Instagram game. For business owners, knowing this, you should strategize a plan to engage with your customers in creative ways so they can spend more time, like, comment, save, and open your profile. Good content, story-telling captions, and responding to comments (or just heart their comment) are key factors to building a genuine relationship with your followers to win the algorithm, and keep them coming back for more!
Are you interested in creating an effective digital marketing strategy? Contact us for a free 30-minute consultation and let us take your brand to the next level.
About the Author
Betty nguyen, FOUNDER OF NOMOON TRAVEL
Betty is Nomoon Studio’s Editor. A go-to travel expert in brand growth strategy and content marketing, she has launched her own travel brands in both Los Angeles and Tulum. Next up? Puglia!
Leave a Reply